The Boise Columbian Club originated with hosting at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1892. Today, the Boise Columbian Club focuses on the volunteer spirit and giving back to the community through scholarships, philanthropy and actions.
GFWC Boise Columbian Club
and the origins of the
Boise Public Library
Boise Public Library traces its roots to February 18, 1895, when the women of the Columbian Club opened a subscription library and free reading room in City Hall. For 10 years, the Club kept the reading room alive while helping to secure funds from Andrew Carnegie to construct a true public library.
Andrew Carnegie awarded library grants to 1406 communities in the early 1900's with the provision that the communities supply land and on-going maintenance. Columbian Club members persuaded Boise city fathers to provide the matching funds necessary for the administration and maintenance of a Carnegie library. Boise's Carnegie Public Library opened its doors at 815 W. Washington on June 22, 1905